An HTML5 browser that delivers magnificent, dynamic and interactive user experience in embedded devices
NetFront Browser NX is a Webkit-based browser, developed by ACCESS and optimized for embedded devices, is built upon ACCESS’ deep knowledge gained from supplying more than one billion products currently deployed worldwide (as of 2011). NetFront Browser NX provides a new platform that offers magnificent UIs, renders web pages, and executes HTML5-based web applications, replacing rich Internet applications, including Java™, Flash, and Silverlight. The WebKit-based solution is extremely optimized for embedded devices including digital TVs, set-top boxes, game consoles, car navigation systems and In-vehicle Infotainment (IVI) devices.
NetFront Browser NX functions
WebKit-related core functionality
- All-you-need HTML5 features for networked devices such as connected TV
Since NetFront Browser NX is based on WebKit, it supports latest HTML5 technologies such as WebSocket, CSS 3D Transforms and WebGL, and runs visually enriched HTML5 Apps. Users can enjoy browsing regular web pages or advanced HTML5 contents on embedded devices as freely and intuitively as they do on their computers.
Enhanced memory management functions, together with memory usage efficiency and stability
- Greater stability is maintained within the memory-saving environment through a function that restarts the browser engine when memory becomes insufficient, with minimum impact on the system
- Memory usage can be verified in real time for sample applications, making it easy to isolate content issues
- Through use of JIT, the memory size used can be regulated, achieving both high stability and high performance
ACCESS’ unique advanced features
- Supports SSL certificate blacklisting
- Certificates identified as untrustworthy can be rejected
- Supports web filtering
- Equipped with a function to notify applications of connected URLs, making it possible for the application to accept or reject the connection
- Complies with Article 19 of the Act on the Establishment of an Enhanced Environment for Youth’s Safe and Secure Internet Use
- Supports RSS Parser, Downloader, and optical scaling (a function for zooming in and out while preserving the page layout)
NetFront Browser NX is an ideal browser solution for devices ranging from Internet TVs to
set-top boxes to gaming consoles or automobile infotainment systems.
Benefits of NetFront Browser NX
High portability through platform-independent API
- Improved portability through the development of new, portable libraries that are platform-independent
- Supports migration to low functionality platforms without a 2D Graphics Library
Highly flexible and customizable HTML5 UIs for various devices
- Supports advanced and flexible UI based on HTML5
- Capable of meeting various UI needs for various devices through an original API developed by ACCESS.
High-level of replication
- Accomplishes similar or greater replication capability as with major PC browsers ( Comparing page loading and other performance for 10 major PC websites as local content)
Evaluation system applies structures and expertise acquired through many years of browser development
- Automation of major browser evaluation settings
- Security testing
- Performance testing
- Conformance testing
Unique HTML UI sample applications are provided
- Rich, cutting-edge UI development using HTML5 and sample applications are provided
Functional specification of NetFront Browser NX
- HTML5 (Audio/Video tags, Canvas, Web Workers, Web Storage, etc.)
- HTML 4.01, XHTML 1.1, XHTML Basic 1.1, CE-HTML, XML 1.1, RSS feed (RSS 0.9/0.91/0.92/1.0/2.0, Atom 1.0)
- CSS3 (Media Queries, Animations, Transforms, Transitions, etc.)
- CSS1, CSS2.1
- HTTP 1.0/1.1
Browser Application Features
- Tabbed Multi-Window support
- Smart Frame (Frame Flattening)
- Continuously Adjustable Zooming/Animated Zoom
- Page/Image Saving
- Word Wrap and Line Boundary Character Check
- International Domain Name
- Linux (Android ™, Qt / Embedded, Qtopia, GTK +, and others)
- Microsoft ® Windows ® CE family, Microsoft ® Windows ® Mobile (Pocket PC, Smartphone)
- ARM ®
- Intel ® x86/x64
Plug-In and Extension Modules
- Adobe® Flash® Player 10.x
- ACID3: 100/100
- ACID2: Passed
NetFront Browser NX DTV Profile
In addition to strengthening the functionality of HTML5 and CSS3, a new standard that’s rapidly becoming an open platform across connected devices NetFront Browser NX DTV Profile supports CE-HTML, a descriptive language for UIs of consumer electronic devices. It can also be expanded to support a wide range of digital TV broadcasting and interactive TV standards, including HbbTV (a pan-European hybrid standard for broadcasting and broadband services), the British BBC iPlayer v3, and the Japanese VOD Networked Digital Television specifications.
Adopting this browser makes it possible for digital TV and STB manufacturers, OEM manufacturers, service providers, and others to quickly bring to the market high value-added devices and services which enable desktop-like full-internet browsing and diverse HTML5 contents and applications.
The Engine of Next Generation UIs for DTV
Based on the latest Webkit technologies, NetFront Browser NX DTV Profile supports a large number of graphic related features including those from HTML5 (Canvas 2D, SVG, etc.), CSS3 (3D Transforms, Animations, Transitions, etc.) and WebGL. NetFront Browser NX goes beyond being only a browser, and can be used as a next-generation TV UI engine to deliver greatly enriched user experiences including 3D graphics and animations.
Television menu carousel built on HTML5 Canvas
Sample UIs for televisions are available
Sample UIs optimized for televisions can be provided.
Other main functions and services that are supported
- BBC iPlayer v3
- Networked Digital Television specifications
- Harmful website filtering (Yahoo! Anshin-net)
- Major VOD standards from within and outside Japan (acTVila, TSUTAYA TV, Gyao, T’s TV, SKY PerfecTV! On Demand, BBC iPlayer)
- Digital TVs
- Game consoles
- Blu-ray players
- IVI devices, etc.