PUBLUS™ Reader (previously known as NetFront™ BookReader EPUB Edition) is a multiplatform EPUB eBook viewer developed using ACCESS’ technological expertise in embedded software. The Reader is compliant with the latest EPUB3 standard and supports complex Japanese typesetting, including vertical script, ruby characters, Japanese line breaking rules, and emphasis dots. A wide range of content such as printed text, comics, and magazines as well as complex educational materials and the latest graphic formats used on web pages can be faithfully reproduced through the WebKit-based rendering engine. The engine also ensures stable operation while conserving memory. With PUBLUS Reader, it is possible to easily enjoy next-generation rich media content such as HTML5 on smartphones, tablets, eBook readers, and other devices.
PUBLUS Reader can be used with various OS platforms and also supports HTML 5 compatible browsers. For SAMPLE of PUBLUS Reader, please click below.
ACCESS is cooperating in the development of a reference platform as a contributor to the Readium project initiated by the IDPF, an international eBook trade and standards organization.
A portion of PUBLUS Reader’s core engine is built into the Apple OS X version of the Readium Reference Platform. As a member of the Readium Foundation, ACCESS is also involved in the development and commercialization of the Readium SDK.
For the latest news on Digital Publishing Solutions, please click here
Faithfully reproduces Japanese typesetting
PUBLUS Reader faithfully reproduces complex Japanese typesetting, including vertical script, ruby characters, Japanese line breaking rules, and emphasis dots, in conformity with the EPUB3 standard. PUBLUS Reader also supports EPUBs created in accordance with the EBPAJ EPUB3 File Creation Guide, issued by the Electronic Book Publishers Association of Japan.
Supports a wide range of content including printed text, comics, magazines, and educational materials
- In addition to printed text such as novels and how-to-books, various types of book content such as comics and magazines can be displayed in a single viewer
- Complex typesetting used in educational materials (including vertical script, Chinese script, mathematical formulae, chemical formulae, and wrap-around text) are also supported
- Limited memory capacity can be used efficiently without installing multiple viewer engines
Supports a variety of distribution methods
- PUBLUS Reader supports both downloads and streaming
- PUBLUS Reader also supports progressive downloading, so that content can be viewed before the download is complete
Reproduces a wide range of HTML5 content
- PUBLUS Reader is based on WebKit and supports HTML5, which is drawing attention as a new markup language for online structuring and presentation.
EPUB viewer with open standard specifications
- PUBLUS Reader is compliant with the EPUB standard, the de facto standard for eBooks
- PUBLUS Reader supports both the latest EPUB3 release, and the global standard specification EPUB 2.0.1
Original technologies ensure stability and optimize memory usage
- Operations are accomplished with minimum use of memory capacity
- When memory is low, recovery is achieved with minimum effect on the system to ensure stability
- In addition to smartphones, tablets, and personal computers, PUBLUS Reader can also be installed on a variety of eBook readers
PUBLUS Reader is used in the eBook services by major publishing companies. For a Customer Testimonials, please see below.
PUBLUS Reader is the standard viewer for the EPUB3 compliant Kobo eBook service
PUBLUS Reader was adopted as the standard viewer for the eBook service of Rakuten Group’s Canadian subsidiary company Kobo Inc., and implemented in the viewer engine of Kobo’s eBook reader Kobo Touch. Thanks to PUBLUS Reader, Kobo is now able to faithfully reproduce unique and complex Japanese typesetting such as vertical script and ruby characters, which weren’t possible with the ordinary EPUBs, and provides a richer reading environment.
“BOOK☆WALKER” EPUB3 compliant eBook viewer in development
KADOKAWA Group and ACCESS are currently developing an EPUB3 compliant eBook viewer based on ACCESS’ PUBLUS Reader for KADOKAWA Group’s BOOK☆WALKER eBook store. The viewer is being developed and provided for each platform. Original technologies include the ability to view illustrations in young-adult fiction in large sizes, and cross-platform bookmarking of pages. ACCESS has also created a set of production regulations for EPUB3, the KADOKAWA Group standard, and is promoting the implementation of EPUB3 support among the approximate 5,000 eBook titles owned by the Group as a whole.
PUBLUS Reader technologies are built in to the Readium project’s Readium Reference Platform. The Readium project was initiated by the IDPF (International Digital Publishing Foundation)—an international eBook trade and standards organization—to promote the widespread use of the EPUB3 standard. ACCESS modified and supplied a portion of PUBLUS Reader’s core engine for Readium-Chromium, a custom Chromium binary that was released by the Readium project. In this way, it is possible to inspect the display of complex Japanese-language typesetting on EPUB. ACCESS became a member of the Readium project in February 2012 and actively engages in technological cooperation.