Market-Leading DLNA Technology Component™ Solution for Multiscreen Media Sharing on Consumer Electronics and Home Networks
NetFront™ Living Connect is a market-leading Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) Technology Component™ solution that enables Pay TV operators and device manufacturers to quickly and efficiently implement multiroom and multiscreen services. NetFront Living Connect can be deployed on set-top boxes, digital TVs, home gateways, smart phones, tablets, digital cameras, network attached storage (NAS) boxes and more.
NetFront™ Living Connect has achieved an extensive track record of successful DLNA Certified® device deployments on a variety of consumer electronic devices offered by leading manufacturers in markets throughout the world. NetFront Living Connect is optimized for embedded devices and features high portability and a flexible modularity that allow it to function with any OS or CPU while also providing for easy customization.
NetFront Living Connect is packed with features that ensure that ACCESS can provide device manufacturers, content providers and ultimately end-users with services that provide comprehensive support for even the very latest DLNA standards. The combination of ACCESS’ NetFront™ Browser, ACCESS MyTV™ and NetFront Living Connect provides a turnkey, commercially deployable solution that supports Premium Video profile with the DLNA Remote User Interface standard.
[pdf]NetFront Living Connect brochure (PDF: 1.4 MB)
[pdf]NetFront Living Connect datasheet (PDF: 635 KB)
ACCESS and Verimatrix Pay-TV Connected Home Solution whitepaper available for download
With DLNA CVP-2 Premium Video sharing and link layer protection, service providers can offer consumers the ability to stream their favorite television programs and movies to DLNA Certified® products such as digital televisions, tablets, smart phones, Blu-ray disc players and video game consoles. Verimatrix and ACCESS together meet the challenge of securing the TV Everywhere environment in order to facilitate content licensing and, ultimately, to maximize the content monetization potential and subscriber ARPU by providing a unique architecture, combining DRM and DLNA and thus bridging the pay-TV and CE universes.
Download the Pay-TV Connected Home Solution whitepaper here.
ACCESS Multiscreen whitepaper available for download
There are a number of megatrends affecting all players in the video industry. In this whitepaper, ACCESS examines each megatrend in turn and explains the fundamental principles that help brands, broadcasters, device manufacturers and network operators implement winning multiscreen strategies.
Download the Multiscreen whitepaper here.
As a DLNA Promoter member, ACCESS plays a leading role in accelerating the launch of products that meet the advanced DLNA guidelines. Additional information about DLNA is available on the DLNA website. To view videos demonstrating DLNA use cases, please go to the DLNA video channel.
|Pay TV Service Providers
- Enables new business models
- Multi-room viewing via standardized technology
- Provides cost savings by leveraging robust DLNA specs
- One-stop solution for operators
- Modular architecture supports Quad-play multi-screen
- Provides Premium Video distribution using DTCP-IP Link
- Layer and proprietary CA/DRM
- Shorter time-to-market with integration-ready Software Development Kit
- Full-featured DLNA and home networking solution
- Future-proof with support for advanced DLNA use cases
- Market-proven and commercially deployed
- Enables media-sharing in the car
- Connects personal devices to car infotainment systems
- Allows streaming of media from rear to front seat
- Supports approved access to content on mobile devices (e.g. browse photos or music while sitting on sofa)
- Includes DLNA Certified® application to control DTVs, set-top boxes and other devices
- Allows photo-sharing over the local Wi-Fi® network
- Enables immediate printing from mobile devices or DTVs without installing printer drivers
Premium Video Sharing
DLNA® Premium Video enables delivery of television programs and movies to DLNA Certified® products. With DLNA Premium Video, service providers can allow consumers to stream their favorite television programs and movies to DLNA Certified® products such as digital televisions, tablets, mobile phones, Blu-ray disc players and video game consoles.
Cloud Content Plugins
ACCESS has developed a new plug-in interface for its NetFront™ Living Connect solution to enable content businesses to more easily take advantage of cloud-based content distribution and services, one of the most important trends in today’s media environment. The Cloud Content plug-in integrates with ACCESS’ NetFront™ Living Connect to ensure that operators can quickly and easily deliver OTT content to any DLNA device.
Advanced Media-Processing Engine
Reflecting the market reality of the availability of several different video/audio codecs and corresponding container formats, NetFront Living Connect comes with a new media processing and transcoding engine that supports more than 120 different file and container formats. With support for all common file formats NetFront Living Connect also dramatically improves media indexing performance, providing a significantly better user experience.
NetFront Living Connect is ready for Windows® 7 and 8 logo program certification for NetMedia Server and includes compliance with Xbox® Media Player.
For a better user experience, NetFront Living Connect supports subtitle distribution and provides transcoding capabilities.
Available Packages and Architecture – Ready for Integration
NetFront Living Connect is available as complete platform or as pre-ported Software Development Kit for various platforms.
- Linux® SDK
- Google® Android SDK
- Apple® iOS™ SDK
- Microsoft® Windows® SDK
- Source code SDK for all C compliant platforms
NetFront Living Connect has been ported to various platforms and reference source code can be provided for each platform. Each SDK version has gone through DLNA CTT testing and is ready for integration. The SDK comes with sample application source code, rich documentation for APIs and platform integration and some reference source code for target platforms.
Optimized for Embedded Information Appliances
NetFront Living Connect was designed from its initial planning stage as an optimal solution for resource-limited embedded environments. Its high portability, which allows it to function with any OS or CPU, also means that it can be seamlessly embedded in a wide variety of devices.
Linking With ACCESS Technology
By integrating with ACCESS’ NetFront™ Browser (which includes support for HTML5, CE-HTML), ACCESS MyTV™ OTT Solution or NetFront™ Media Player, NetFront Living Connect can be deployed as a total turnkey solution.
Next Generation DLNA
NetFront Living Connect includes Commercial Video Profile (CVP-2) including HTML5 Remote User Interface, DTCP-IP Content protection, has extensive support of media types and supports next generation DLNA standards like Premium Video playback and distribution.
Flexible Modular Structure
NetFront Living Connect’s porting layer layer allows easy Integration with CAS/DRM and is adaptable to a wide variety of hardware and OS environments. Best interoperability is ensured via extensive testing against hundreds of consumer devices and applications.
DLNA Device Classes
- Binary or Source Code Software Development Kit (SDK)
- Platform Independent Code
- Sample Applications
- Porting Layer Source Code
DLNA Device Capability
- Digital Media Server (DMS/M-DMS)
- Digital Media Player (DMP/M-DMP)
- Digital Media Controller (DMC/M-DMC)
- Digital Media Renderer (DMR)
- Mobile Digital Media Uploader (M-DMU)
- Mobile Digital Media Downloader (M-DMD)
- Digital Media Printer (DMPr)
- Push Controller (+PU+)
- Upload Controller (+UP+)
- Download Controller (+DN+)
- Printing Controller (+PR1+), (+PR2+)
- Remote User Interface (+RUIHPL+)
- Remote User Interface (+RUIHSRC+)
- UPnP AV Stack
- SOAP, SSDP, HTTP (DLNA supported), Parser
- DLNA QoS
- Thumbnail Generation (Video, Pictures)
- Subtitle Support
- Auto Playlist Generation
- Meta Data extension via External Server (e.g. Album cover)
- Ready for Windows® 7 and 8 logo program certification for NetMedia Server
- Compliant to Xbox® Media Player
- “All Server” Content Aggregation
Open Source Modules
- Premium Video Profile
- DLNA Commercial Video Profile (CVP-2)
- DTCP-IP Link Layer Security
- Smart Media Manager
- Remote User Interface Module (Bundle possible with NetFront Browser)
- CAS/DRM Integration
(Platform requirement or provided by ACCESS)
- SQLite Library
- XML Parser (Open Source Expat)
- FFMPEG (LGPL) Media Format Extension (Optional)
- IJGJPEG Library
Smart Media Manager (SMM)
- Outline Manual
- Porting Manual & Peer API Specification
- Sample Application API Specification
- Device Classes API Specification
- High Performance Indexing
- SQL Database
- Meta Data Enhancements
- Integrated WEB UI
- Security Features (Parental Control)
- File/Folder Sharing Settings
||Media Processing Engine (MPE)
- 120+ Media Formats
- Video and Picture Thumbnails
- Embedded Subtitle Support
- Geolocation Support
DMS Standard Features
- Mandatory DLNA 1.5 Profiles
- Normal Subtitle Support
- Full DLNA Search
- Image Thumbnails
DMS Media Center Features
Flash ROM Memory Requirements
- DMS Standard Features
- New File Formats and DLNA profiles
- MPE (Media Processing Engine)
- All Image and Video Thumbnails
- MPE Time Seek
- Normal + Embedded Subtitles
- Auto Playlist Generation
- Upload/Download Capability
- Parental Guidance
- Web UI
(Example for Linux® OS)
The application footprint is dependent on the target platform and compile options. The figures below can be taken as an example for a Linux build. Figures include SQLite library, EXPAT, ijgjpeg lib, FFMPEG dynamically linked* (DMP, DMR, DMC command-line application without Mediaplayer).
|Compressed LZMA Flash ROM size
* Typically the flash requirement for FFMPEG is 2.0 MB. The actual size depends on the compile options. (A 30% variance is possible.)
RAM Memory Requirements
(Example for Linux OS)
Smart Media Manager Memory Options
- SRAM is configurable
- Recommended starting point 16MB
*Certain codecs require additional license agreements with IP owners (e.g. ac3, divx)
- SQLite Interface Memory Consumption
- Video Thumbnail Creation Swapping
- Picture Thumbnail Creation Swapping Buffer
- Enable/disable Formats and Codecs*
Multi Language and Embedded* Subtitles Support (Not specified by DLNA)
* Only part of NetFront Living Connect Media Center
- .aqt, .ass, .gsub, .idx, .jss, .mkv, .pjs, .psb, .rt, .smi, .srt, .ssa, .ssf, .sub, .ttxt, .usf